FOSS Meetup Chennai - November 2023

This forum thread contains information about the FOSS Chennai November Meetup 2023

Date - 18 November 2023
Venue - FR8, Kosmo One
Duration - 2:00 PM - 5:00 PM
Sai Nagar, Plot No.14, 3rd Main Rd, Near Telephone Exchange, Mogappair West, Ambattur Industrial Estate, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600058

OpenStreetView

Register for the meetup here
Submit a talk
Please join our telegram channel for more updates.

4 Likes

Is the CFP form open for online speakers as well?

Hello sunil,the meetup CFP Form is not open for online speakers

Hi Hari and Ansh,
I submitted my proposal for a talk on Design Systems for the Kochi meetup which got accepted but due to unforeseen reasons, I won’t be able to attend the event on the scheduled dates.
Considering this, I have submitted the proposal for Chennai meetup. Please let me if the topic interests you. I would be more than willing to take part in the event.

@Sunil_Jhamnani
Hi Sunil, thanks for submitting a proposal. The review process will start once the CFPs are closed. You can expect a confirmation by this Monday.

Do note that we are not able to accomodate virtual sessions,(since you enquired about that previously), if Chennai is too far from you you can consider applying for talks at other chapters’ meetups as well (Bangalore,Kochi,Hyd)

Hi Ansh,
I am good with Chennai and attending the session in person, shouldn’t be a problem.
Thanks

1 Like

Hello sir/madam ,
Good morning, college students can attend this meeting ?

And what type of meeting is this , can we bring laptop .

Everyone can attend the meetup as long as they rsvp :slight_smile:

This is a meetup, where people from the foss space in chennai gather almost every month to listen to the talks , network, discuss about foss. And yes, you can bring laptops, and even collaborate with others on your projects!

2 Likes

Sir , RSVP means?

@SUDHIR_S Do register for the meetup here using the link shared above!

Announcing the speaker lineup for our November meetup :tada: :spiral_calendar:
RSVPs closing soon! Register for the meetup here

1 Like

What is the tower or company name?

The Good

• Good ratio of students and professionals.
  • 10+ women attendees, 1 talk from a female speaker organically.
  • Lots of good CFPs, and the talks were good as well
  • Venue folks were very supportive, they set up the chairs, AV in advance and also helped us set up the livestream.
  • The crowd was very diverse, and we had folks from regions like Vellore, Pondicherry etc. who travelled just for the meetup

The Bad

• The lighting seemed to trouble a few people in the back
  • We underestimated the turnout,and the order for snacks was less.

The Ugly

• We did not check the contents of the talk during the open stage, which led to the talk drifting off the agenda and went on a topic that we don’t usually promote at FOSS meetups.

Feedback from Speakers

• Talks were much better than 1st event I attended (ChennaiFOSS). All talks made lot of sense.
    Need to get more industry folks as participants like 30+ experienced developers. Then questions and interaction will be good.

• It was a good meetup, not so much Open source tinkerers but I think over time the knowledge and awareness will only get better. In some ways, we are evangelising FOSS through the meetups too. So that’s good :slight_smile:

• The only thing is consistency. In the bangalore meetups that I was part of, I began to very soon see repeat faces. And some of them became volunteers etc. That’s the idea eventually. To become a go to place, with friendships and connections. And FOSS and lot of tech talk

Takeaways

• Reduce wastage at the events
  • Start doing themed meetups now that we have got a good audience