Discussing governance for FOSSUnited at IndiaFOSS

End to end of entire membership program? :slight_smile:

There were 100s of volunteers who contributed to the success of FOSS United over the last few years. If someone in that is not able to afford / do not wish to pay for membership, essentially doesnā€™t get a voice? There are quite a few people who just talks and does not really do any work on the ground, and they can easily get a vote by paying for membership? I donā€™t think that is fair.

I donā€™t have an alternative as of now, but I am just questioning the whole idea of essentially paying to get a vote for selecting governance instead of time and commitment.

5 Likes

Yeah, setting up the membership platform essentially and then driving discussions on this forum. Do you see anything else?

Good point. We can also have nominated members for those who have contributed time. Maybe the staff / board / existing members can nominate?

There wonā€™t be anything pay-walled ever except the major events, like IndiaFOSS.

I think, If the community members see the membership as a way to donate, they can choose to do so.

As you are leading this project, could you please give us an outline of the next steps in detail, along with a timeline? Iā€™m assuming that we will go live in January 24, since you are thinking about integrating it with the platform,

We can learn from our previous attempt (FOSS United Memberships [Version 1]) and make a new effort in a way that doesnā€™t negatively impact our current processes - I feel there will be three sets of people who would like to contribute - time, money and mixed of both. We should have all of them. We can identify the members who have contributed time and give them an option to skip paying.

This is a valid point. Perhaps we should establish criteria for who can nominate themselves for the steering committee. Even if people gain the ability to vote by paying, they would still be voting for one of the eligible members. Does this approach sound good? @rushabh @vishnus

4 Likes

If there are no standing objections, we can go ahead. Since this is dependent on the platform - I am not sure how long this will take - the platform itself is not in any shape for a release. Trying to get some folks from Frappe to volunteer for this. My best guess would be end of Jan.

(and remind me to ask for timelines on all your pending tasks as well :stuck_out_tongue: :smile: )

This is off-topic for this thread. Earlier, I replied here but now moved to a new post.

6 Likes

Go ahead with the conceptualisation, membership module on the platform, community calls for membership awareness, membership drives, committee formation, or all (and how)? Like @wisharya said, without a granular breakdown of steps, itā€™ll be impossible to understand and keep track of what is a critical mega project (tech, people, governance).

This jibe is uncalled for.

A project that defines the future and existence of the org itself should obviously have clear steps and timelines. Without that, there is going to be ambiguity for everyone involved.

The platform development project, for example, the process and trajectory is visible here.

2 Likes

I would agree that the platform project had been lacking our undivided attention due to multiple factors. Taking this to:

1 Like

I only want to go ahead if there is full consensus. In my head there are only 2 things:

1. Creating a payment tracking system
  2. Tracking discussions on this forum.

I had given a tentative end of Jan timeline for this.

Wasnā€™t a jibe at all - in my 3 years working with Vishal, I did not recall a single ā€œletā€™s put a timelineā€ discussion, so this was new for me. Maybe this is new organisation culture - so just calling out that the same kind of accountability should everywhere.

On the whole, I am feeling a strong resistance to these ideas and somehow everything I have to say is taken with bad faith. (to me, this feels unfair). At this point, I will back off from org-level discussions. I happy to help for anything anyone needs.