Schedule

Time (PM IST) Agenda
2:00-2:05 Introductions
2:00-2:35 CoronaSafe Network by Bodhish Thomas
2:35-3:05 FOSS United Updates by Anand Chitipothu
3:05-3:30 Community Discussion
3:30-4:00 DIY Home Automation with Home Assistant by Valmik Jangla

RSVP - fossunited.org/meetup/2021/05/rsvp

Hello, I’d like to give a talk on Home Automation using Home Assistant.

General breakdown -

1. Why?
  2. Introduction to Home Assistant and setting up
  3. Overview of my setup
  4. HA Ecosystem (Software / Hardware)
  5. Help and Resources
  6. Q&A

Hi @vjFaLk, we would be happy to listen to you about the Home Automation using FOSS tools. I am adding your name to the list of confirmed speakers!

1 Like

Hi Arya,

This is Pankaj Mouriya

I would like to present a talk on “The Core of Web Security”

Abstract -
Same Origin Policy is the Fundamental Security Model of the web, it’s been very long that I have been struggling around Same Origin Policy and to overcome this struggle, I did some google and went through some books, watched some boring yet fruitful videos and ended up giving this talk.
Having a deep understanding of the Same Origin Policy model is important especially if you are a Security Analyst or developer for secure web development. The Same Origin Policy is possibly the most important security control enforced on the web and is also an inconsistently implemented specification which is many of the times explained so vaguely by human minds that it does not make any sense to other Human Minds. In this talk I will try to make it easy to understand and will keep your brains engaged so that it does not turn into a boring lecture. We will learn about Same Origin Policy with DOM, browser tabs, iframes, importance of SOP and how it is applied to web storage, images, CSS, JS, etc. I will also talk about Same Origin Policy exceptions and ways to get around Same Origin Policy with detailed explanation to postMessage API, URI fragment and CORS etc.

Breakdown -

• Introduction
  • What should be Allowed
  • Same Origin Policy
  • Example: Web Browser an OS Kernel, Analagy using an Hospital
  • What is an URL?
  • Definition of an Origin
  • Quiz - Based on Same Origin
  • Same Origin Policy - Slide
  • Same Origin Policy - DEMO
  • Same Origin Policy with Tabs
  • Is Cross Origin Fetch allowed - DEMO
  • How does Same Origin Policy apply to :
    • Anchors
    • Forms
    • Images
    • CSS
    • Web Storage
    • Cookies
    • iframes
  • Prolems/ Getting Around Same Origin Policy
    • postMessage API
    • CORS
  • Exception - Same Origin Policy
    • Referrer etc,
  • What is allowed?
  • Q&A

Table of content is subject to change

Pankaj Mouriya
pankaj@null.co.in

1 Like

Hi Pankaj,

Welcome to the FOSS United community. Excited to listen to you at the next meetup. The null community seems very interesting to me. You can introduce the null community as well during the talk.

I hope 30 minutes will work for you. Out of 30 minutes, please keep 5 minutes for the AMA session with the participants.

Hi Arya.

Thank you for your quick response and accepting my talk.

I realised I wont be able to make it on 8th may. I would be happy to give my talk in month of June at FOSS.

Can I have your email address for further communication?

Thanks & Regards

Pankaj Mouriya
pankaj@null.co.in

Pankaj, That works too :slight_smile:

My email address is vishal at fossunited.org

My Home Assistant config -

Suggestion - I’ve realized that having both BBB and Youtube might be fragmenting the viewership and also the interaction. Maybe do record the sessions and put them up on YT but have the talk on BBB only.

Thanks Valmik for the today’s talk.

I personally felt that listening to the talks from YouTube is very easy. There are participants who only like to hear and do not want to participate through the mic.