MUKTI a FOSS club in Bangalore - Updates Thread

:rocket: Welcome to the MUKTI Community Forum Thread! :globe_with_meridians:

MUKTI, the dynamic student club founded at Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bangalore, is your gateway to the exciting world of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS), Cybersecurity, Network Security, System Administration, OSINT, and Software Development. But we’re not just about technology – we’re a community that believes in the power of collaboration and innovation!

Here in this thread, we invite you to join the conversation on all things related to FOSS, Cybersecurity, and the incredible work we’re doing at MUKTI. Whether you’re a student, tech enthusiast, or just curious about these topics, you’ve found your home.

Feel free to ask questions, share your knowledge, and connect with like-minded individuals. Let’s dive into the world of open-source, security, and tech together! :star2::computer::lock:

To kick things off, tell us about your interests, experiences, or any exciting FOSS projects you’re working on. We can’t wait to hear from you! :speaking_head::loudspeaker:

#MUKTICommunity #FOSS #Cybersecurity #TechEnthusiasts

1 Like
  • Mukti is a recognized club of Ramaiah Institute of Technology.
  • We are backed by the CSE department of the college.
  • We have a guiding mentor assigned to the club.
  • We have partnerships with companies like Deeproot Linux and MostlyHarmless.
  • We are affiliated with communities like FSMK (Free Software Movement Karnataka).
  • Mukti consists of two established core teams with 20 members in the core.
  • Our community comprises over 500 members overall who share our passion for FOSS and collaborative initiatives.

The structure of our core is as below:

Senior core team - Prathmik

4 - Technical Team
2 - Creative Team
2- Documentation Team

Junior core team - Dwitiya

4 - Technical Team
2 - Creative Team
2- Documentation Team
2 Likes

Envisioned 3 month plan as of 7/11/23

Month 1: November 2023

1. Enhance Club Membership: Begin the month with an aggressive membership drive to increase participation in MUKTI. Host an orientation session for new members to introduce them to the club’s mission and ongoing projects.
  2. FOSS Workshops: Organize a series of workshops focusing on different aspects of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) to build technical skills among members.
  3. Collaborate on FOSS Projects: Encourage members to contribute to existing FOSS projects or initiate new ones within the club. Foster collaboration and teamwork among members.

Month 2: December 2023

1. Cybersecurity Bootcamp: Host an intensive Cybersecurity Bootcamp to deepen members’ knowledge of network security, ethical hacking, and cybersecurity tools.
  2. Tech Talks and Webinars: Invite industry experts and professionals to deliver tech talks and webinars on topics like software development, OSINT, and cybersecurity. These events will offer exposure to real-world insights and career opportunities.
  3. Linux and Open Source Software Month: Celebrate the spirit of Linux and open-source software with themed events, workshops, and demonstrations throughout the month.
  4. IIT Bombay Event: In talks with the IIT B Trust Lab to collaborate and host a month long Open Source CyberSecurity tools contribution event

Month 3: January 2024

1. Annual Symposium: Plan and execute an annual MUKTI Symposium focusing on the latest trends in FOSS, cybersecurity, and related fields. This event can include keynote speakers, paper presentations, and workshops.
  2. Membership Feedback and Adjustments: Gather feedback from members regarding the past three months and use it to make adjustments to club activities, ensuring they meet members’ interests and needs.
  3. Long-Term Project Planning: Identify and prioritize long-term projects or initiatives that MUKTI will undertake for the year ahead. Ensure that these projects align with the club’s mission and provide valuable learning experiences.
  4. Engage with Partners: Maintain and strengthen partnerships with the CSE department of the college and external organizations like Foss United and FSMK for support, resources, and collaboration.
1 Like

This is going real good! Can’t wait for the upcoming Git/Gh workshop!

Also, please post updates on the IITB event in this thread @Het_Joshi

3 Likes

Updates from catch-up call #1

Attendees [ Ansh, @Het_Joshi , @Suchit_G ]

Updates from the club’s end

• Activities are being actively documented on the forum.
  • Introductory event was done with a turnout of 350
  • Another informal event was done in the canteen
  • The club is working on their website, regular scrum meetings and sprints are being organised
  • A git event is being planned for first years,planning threads are yet to be posted. Support from FOSS United will cover tea and snacks for the event
  • Seperate beginner friendly events are being conducted for first years since they have lesser experience and are more enthusiastic and turn up in good numbers.
  • Another event is being planned in collaboration with Proto, a resource person will come to the campus to take a session.

Support from FOSS United

• Tea and Snacks can be covered for small scale events
  • Swags will be sent for Core team, and for major events.
  • The club wants to create some creative tshirt designs about FOSS, we can incorporate this into the merch store.
  • Request for a resource person from the FOSS United community to conduct a workshop/hands-on session in Feb.

Het will soon document all the current and future initiatives on the forum.
The club is interested in hosting a local FOSS hack edition at their campus.

4 Likes

:open_mouth:

I’m not sure what is open source about Proto. If mapping is something that the team is interested in, there are highly qualified people within the Open Street Mapping (OSM) community that we can put in touch with the club leads.

I hope this isn’t too much to ask but atleast one person from the college chapter should attend every meetup in the city chapter. Being at the city chapter provides an opportunity to either discover people who could conduct a workshop/hands-on session or the city chapter could advertise at the monthly meetup, requesting someone from the audience to come forward, if interested.

2 Likes

Agreed, @Het_Joshi Please make sure even if someone from the company wants to hold a session, it should be about FOSS in general or how FOSS impacts their company.

Yes, I missed to mention this in the minutes but I’ve asked the core team to try attending Bengaluru meetups. They could not attend this time because of college classes on Saturday.

@Aakansha_Doshi Can the bangalore chapter coordinate with folks at Mukti, and maybe give a small slot to them to talk about their club at an upcoming BLR meetup?

4 Likes

Agreed, I think @Het_Joshi can give a talk about it at the upcoming bangalore meetup.

2 Likes

Sure we can have a 10 min slot for the FOSS Club in our upcoming January meetup. @Het_Joshi and @mangesh_x0 have volunteered to talk about it so let’s do it.

3 Likes

Hey aakansha, there was an issue in my reply. I have made a correction, please recheck it.

2 Likes

Noted! I will keep that in mind,
We just wanted someone to introduce GIS to the students.
Proto actually approached us through OSM.

Sure, I’d be up to talk on any topic.
I’ll make it a point that the MUKTI community attends these city meetups from now on.

1 Like

Ill document our recent events and put it up soon.

I’d be up to talk on any topic.

The idea is you talking about Mukti itself. You can definitely propose talks through the standard CFP form as well for general topics

1 Like

Yes sir!!! :smiley:

Our flagship cybersecurity extravaganza took place on March 15th at the Ramaiah Institute Of Technology! We had an awesome turnout of over 160+ enthusiastic students who joined us for an eye-opening workshop led by me.
We didn’t just talk the talk; we walked the walk by helping our eager participants dive into a hands-on project: building their very own Intrusion Detection System. Talk about getting your hands dirty in the best way possible!
We also introduced the students to the Open source tools and the community and forums for this
Overall, it was another smashing success, and we couldn’t have done it without our incredible core team members and the unwavering support of our fantastic community. A huge shoutout to everyone who made this event a reality!

1 Like