RFC: A Pathway to AI Governance

Hello, some of us at the Takshashila Institution have been working on a discussion document on A Pathway to AI Governance.

While the narratives around AI governance globally primarily focus on ethics and safety, we believe that it is also important to consider it from a national interest perspective. This involves examining how AI adoption can help humans flourish, strengthen democracy, and promote a stable global order. It also looks at the need for sustainable practices in AI adoption and the importance of ensuring competition in the AI ecosystem.

These considerations must be examined across these stages of the AI supply chain - data, computation, model, and application - to envision the desired outcomes at each stage.

We are a bunch of policy nerds who have put this together, and we would love to hear from other stakeholders. Please let us know what you think of this and how we can improve this.

You can either share your feedback on this forum or as a pull request on the markdown version of the document on the GitHub repo.

1 Like

Maybe its just me, but I have a feeling that AI at this point is just hype and “hammer looking for a nail”. Its been a year since ChatGPT was released but where are the AI driven mass layoffs we have been worried about? Other than all those shitty images on social media (which look eerily like NFT images) what have we got? Just a contrarian thought, that this might end up being vapourware just like “blockchain”. A lot of solutions are being built in image recognition, character recognition, but they have steadily improving for a while.

Anything a heuristic can’t do, AI probably won’t either.

The term Artificial Intelligence is probably a misnomer, and they are more accurately described as “stochastic parrots”. I agree with @rushabh that they are probabilistic pattern recognition systems that have been steadily improving. But that does not negate the fact that they can vastly increase human productivity. A lot of the work that we do requires skills which tire us out but can be done better by an algorithm.

The debate around AI is muddled with theories about large-scale impact on jobs, existential risks and such. These are not immediate concerns, given the current state of AI. But we feel there are real concerns around the concentration of market power, access to the tech, bias, and misuse. These are some of the concerns we attempt to address in the document.

1 Like

Don’t you think we lost those battles the day we invented machines? Today we are writing in English on a computer invented by Americans. If you want to win those battles from a nationalistic perspective, then there is a lot of catching up we have to do.

Not at all. I think technology has improved our lives and can do much more. I don’t need to think we need to think from a nationalistic perspective but we might need to think about it from a national interest perspective. The two can be quite different.

1 Like

Yes they have improved no doubt (I am not saying we dial it back), but also created concentration of power and access, bias etc. Somehow both are inter-related.

1 Like
2 Likes