RFC - FOSS in Government event

We are planning to propose a FOSS in Government event to the Ministry of Electronics and IT (MEITY). I am sharing a draft of the same. I request comments by 31st Jan on this draft agenda. In particular, it would be useful if we need to add any other topic and speakers who would be helpful from a FOSS Gov perspective.

Venky

=====

Dear Sir,

We would like to work with MEITY to put together a series of programs aimed at helping your technology teams understand and leverage FOSS effectively. We can start it off with an inspirational full-day or half-day kickoff event with some of the leading FOSS experts in India. We can follow that up with monthly workshops that dig deep into fundamental topics like FOSS and cybersecurity, FOSS compliance, maintaining FOSS projects, contributing to FOSS communities, building an Open Source Program Office for the Government of India and others.

The topics, speakers and other details are indicative, and can be finalized based on inputs from you and your technology teams. MEITY can convene these programs while FOSS United can bring in the best domain experts for these topics from India and abroad. A set of topics that can be presented at these programs is given below my signature.

Kindly do let us know how to take this forward.

Regards,

Venky

Time Topic Speaker
20 minutes Welcome Address and State of FOSS in Government Shri. Abhishek Singh, CEO, Digital India
20 minutes Extreme Scalability: How we architected UPI using FOSS Sateesh Palagiri, NPCI
20 minutes Why FOSS is important for India Prof. DB Phatak, IIT Bombay or Prof. S Sadagopan, former director IIIT Bangalore
20 minutes Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) Everywhere: How and why Collaborative Innovation conquered the software world Venkatesh Hariharan, Public Policy Director, FOSS United
20 minutes Building a FOSS Community: Practical lessons from ERPNext Rushabh Mehta, CEO of Frappe.io, creator of ERPNext
20 minutes Maintaining open source projects Kailash Nadh, CTO, Zerodha
60 minutes Building an Open Source Program Office Ibrahim Haddad, Vice President of Strategic Programs at the Linux Foundation and the General Manager of LF AI & Data
60 minutes #### Free and Open Source Software Compliance: The basics you need to know Biju Nair, Founder, Legalitech
60 minutes #### Open Source and Cybersecurity IIT Bombay Trust Labs
2 Likes

My recommendation would be for a RoundTable format where we can have a frank exchange of ideas between participants rather than a bunch of “talks” that end up being one sided “gyan” and leave little space for deeper discussions.