I would like to propose an open session on what’s next for FOSS United. On the panel could be people associated with FOSS United (@knadh, Venky, @WishArya, @Anand and myself). And we could brainstorm on what our goals could be, what are the missing pieces and how we could build a stronger FOSS community in India.
Thoughts on FOSS Express:
Few years back, Python Express(earlier called as Python Month) as a platform has connected tutors, colleges/organisations & students.
Volunteers across India were conducting 4-10 workshops every month. This has spread a lot of awareness about Python(and FOSS in general).
Unfortunately, Python Express is defunct now and there is a dearth of such platform.
FOSS United can probably build such a platform to connect all these people.
A simple portal can be built using Frappe with the following features.
- Tutors, Organisations & Students can register themselves.
- Organisations can request for workshop on specific dates.
- All tutors will be notified about the workshop requests.
- Tutors can be assigned on first come basis(depends on location too).
- Provide feed back forms for students to rate workshop/tutor.
It doesn’t need heavy funding. Most of the organisations will sponsor for travel & accommodation expenses.
Once we have a good tutors base, we can accommodate tutors from near by cities itself. It will reduce travel expenditures.
We need volunteers to setup the portal, be a point of contact and co-ordinate with stake holders if needed.
Mon School could drive that initiative.