FOSS Club STIST - Updates

February :smiling_face_with_tear:

Goal-Driven Triumph: Navigating Challenges to Success by Jobin Selvanose on 2024-02-02T05:30:00Z2024-02-02T07:30:00Z

• Session was supposed to be about developer habits and mindsets
  • Some miscommunications ended up in the talk being solely about motivating students to set a goal, make money, etc.
  • Speaker seemed a bit too confident and went on talking about the usefulness of money, high paying job, etc.
  • Talk deviated towards “success” and other stuff
  • Might have affected our “image” as a club
  • Anyways, the tea and snacks were good and the QA was useful.

Findings

• Students get bored when session is too long, even when tea break is given in between
  • Students decide whether to engage/concentrate or snore from how they perceive the first few minutes of the talk
2 Likes

This happens, following the CFP model (or just reviewing the content beforehand) should solve this to some extent.

1 Like

March Tech Fest stuff

The college is conducting a 3-day inter-college tech fest on 2024-03-14T18:30:00Z2024-03-16T18:30:00Z (moved due to conflicts with CET fest and FOSS Meet). The FOSS Club is organizing the following events:

Status

• 2 persons willing to give a talk

Sent an email today

1 Like

It is sad to hear this report. I should have this reply because I have tagged and used images in this forum.

Sorry If I didn’t have a session about OSS, But while discussing it before the month I said that I would take some general topic.
This was my reply when it said the most students are not aware of code.

Then can we have an general topic? Which is like how to become better developer or some kind of habits/mindset shift? But its not related to oss

So taking technical sessions is not better for the audience, that’s why I prefer to speak about some good habits and mindset that help to achieve goals as a developer.

The topic of money is just a module I talked about.

• Skill Based Economy
  • Money
  • Types of Skills
  • Passion
  • Timeline cycle of growth
  • Goal, what is a goal and what is not a goal
  • Possibility and Probability
  • Affirmation and vision board
  • Discipline equals freedom
  • Extreme Ownership
  • Work Ethics
  • Habits
  • Perception equals reality
  • Internal and external perception
  • Networking and its important
  • Q&A

These are the modules I took, every module I took was exampled and talked retable to engineers and developers. So sorry to say that I was not only talked about misconceptions about money and high-income jobs. That was just a module and I literally spoke only 5 - 7 minutes. The only problem was I took this topic to the wrong audience. I had taken the same session to a group of college students and it was very interactive and that was for monetary benefits, I think the session happened on STIST was the wrong audience and was not serious and 90% was not interactive to open-ended questions.

Sorry if these comments hurt anyone. but this is the reality. I said my session would not be FOSS related and It was a voluntary session without looking for any benefits. The time I spent between my schedule and shared values is my contribution. Glad to know the Q/A helps but it seems only 2 -5 minutes Q/A.

1 Like

Yukthi’24 - College tech fest

The FOSS Club conducted talks, a competition and a linux installation party as part of the first college tech fest.

March 15, Friday

• How we cloud connected our maruti dzire, and how you can too by Vishal DS, STIST – cancelled due to delay in Yukthi inauguration and speeches
  • Why and How of FOSS by @wisharya, FOSS United
  • Digital security and state of internet shutdowns in India by Kiran S Kunjumon, SFLC.in

March 16, Saturday

• Prav Messenger: Convenience, Privacy and Choice by Ananthu C V, Debian Maintainer
  • Open Data: An Introduction by Athul R T, FOSS Enthusiast
  • Exploring Self hosting by Advaith Narayanan, MITS FOSS Club Lead
  • SegFault – CTF+Treasure hunt based competition using CLI tools and clues on paper

March 17, Sunday

• Linux installation party

• All sessions were awesome :partying_face:
  • Timings got delayed, and participants weren’t happy with that
  • Some participants came just for activity points (KTU students get points for participating in talks and workshops and they are mandatory for getting college degree)
  • Many people who registered didn’t attend the sessions
  • Sessions were interactive, and many participants talked with the speakers, which is unusual in our college

Things we learned

• Too many events are not manageable
  • Most people attend tech fests with an aim to either have fun or learn new stuff but not both
  • Many college students care more about activity points than learning new stuff
  • Students are more interested and attentive when new ideas are presented in a way they can relate to
2 Likes

Hello folks,

I realize it’s been a while since this topic was active, but I wanted to revive the discussion to share some exciting updates from the FOSS Club at St. Thomas Institute for Science & Technology, Trivandrum. Over the past few months, we’ve organized several initiatives aimed at introducing first-year students to open-source tools and the broader FOSS community.

Induction Programme for First Year Students, St Thomas Institute For Science & Technology, Trivandrum

Date: 16th October 2024
Organiser: FOSS Club, St Thomas Institute for Science & Technology
Report by: Ganesh Adimalupu

The FOSS Club at St Thomas College hosted an induction programme for first-year students to familiarize them with the open-source culture, tools, and opportunities available through contributions to Free and Open Source Software (FOSS). The session aimed to motivate new students to join the club and participate in upcoming FOSS-related activities and events.

Timeline of Events

Day 1 (September 11, 2024)

10:00 AM – 1:00 PM: CS2 and DS Student Session

Welcome Address and Introduction to FOSS
Speaker: Ganesh Adimalupu

An overview of the FOSS Club, its mission, and the role of FOSS in today’s technology landscape.
Key topics included: open-source philosophy, how to begin contributing to FOSS, and tools like Linux, OpenOffice, and GIMP.
FOSS Tools and Technologies
The session highlighted various open-source tools, including the Linux operating system, OpenOffice for productivity, and GIMP for graphic design. Each tool was introduced with examples of its use in academic and professional contexts, showcasing the benefits of adopting FOSS in daily life

Projects and Opportunities
Students were introduced to popular FOSS projects such as Linux, Apache, and Blender. Real-world examples illustrated how contributing to these projects can lead to career advancement and global awareness. A live demonstration on navigating GitHub repositories was also provided.

Day 2 (September 12, 2024)

10:00 AM – 1:00 PM: Session for CS1 Students
The session’s content was consistent with that of Day 1, maintaining a similar level of student engagement and enthusiasm. Notable aspects included the GitHub demonstration .

Agenda for the FOSS Club Induction Program

Day 1: September 11, 2024 (CS2 & DS Students)

10:00 AM – 10:15 AM
Welcome and Introduction
A brief welcome note introducing the FOSS club and outlining the objectives of the induction program.

10:15 AM – 10:45 AM

Understanding FOSS
An exploration of Free and Open-Source Software, emphasizing the significance of community involvement and the worldwide FOSS landscape.

10:45 AM – 11:15 AM

An introduction to fundamental tools such as Git, GitHub, and Linux, accompanied by a live demonstration on how to navigate GitHub repositories.

11:15 AM – 11:45 AM

FOSS Projects and Contributions
A presentation on prominent FOSS projects (including Linux, Apache, and Blender) and a discussion regarding the advantages of contributing to these initiatives, highlighting personal development and career prospects.

11:45 AM – 12:15 PM

Practical Examples of FOSS Contributions
Sharing success narratives and tangible instances of how contributors to FOSS have progressed in their careers.

12:15 PM – 12:45 PM

Interactive Q&A Session
An opportunity for students to pose questions, express their views, and seek clarification on initiating their journey in FOSS.

12:45 PM – 1:00 PM

Concluding Remarks & Future Directions
A summary of the session along with an outline of forthcoming events, including the scheduled Git and GitHub workshop in November.

Day 2: September 12, 2024 (CS1 Students)

10:00 AM – 10:15 AM

Welcome and Introduction
An opening address with content similar to that of Day 1.

10:15 AM – 10:45 AM

Understanding FOSS
A discussion on the principles and significance of FOSS within contemporary software development.

10:45 AM – 11:15 AM

An overview of the tools that underpin the FOSS ecosystem, particularly focusing on Git, GitHub, and Linux.

11:15 AM – 11:45 AM

FOSS Projects and Contributions
An introduction to essential FOSS projects and guidance on how students can begin their contributions.

11:45 AM – 12:15 PM

Practical Examples of FOSS Contributions
Showcasing instances of students and professionals who have gained advantages from their contributions to FOSS projects.

12:15 PM – 1:00 PM

Special Assistance:
Merfin and Vaishnav provided hands-on support during the Git walkthrough and the interactive Q&A session. Their contributions helped students to gain a minimum on how to use Git and GitHub for version control and making open-source contributions.

Strengths and Challenges in Student Engagement

Strengths:
The students who were genuinely interested really got involved during the live demos and enjoyed the interactive parts of the session. They were excited to learn about FOSS tools like Git, Linux, and projects like Blender and GIMP. Many of them were curious about how contributing to these open-source projects could help with future career opportunities, and they showed a lot of interest in joining the upcoming workshops.

Challenges:
A significant portion of the attendees, particularly those from a biology background, struggled with some of the technical terminology and concepts. Many students were present due to parental influence, which affected their level of engagement. Only a few students displayed a clear passion for technology and open-source software, which led to varying participation levels.

Conclusion:
The induction program successfully introduced the first-year students to the world of Free and Open Source Software (FOSS). Despite some challenges in understanding technical terminology, particularly for students from non-technical backgrounds, the session sparked curiosity and interest in FOSS tools and projects. The active participation from engaged students shows the potential for growing the FOSS community within the college. Moving forward, the planned workshops and events will provide further hands-on experience, helping students deepen their understanding and contribute meaningfully to open-source projects.

1 Like