Introduce yourself - $whoami

Hello,

I am Sanchayan. Work @ asymptotic.io.

• Primarily work with C. Other fav languages are Rust and Haskell
  • I organize the Bangalore Rust meetup and co-organize the Haskell one
  • Come from an embedded systems background and work on GStreamer and PulseAudio these days
5 Likes

Hi all!

Iā€™m Shivani, a software developer (mostly on contract basis) currently working with OISF building Suricata IDS, a high performance IDS which is FOSS and very actively developed.
I have previously interned with Linux Kernel through the Outreachy programme to work on the Netfilter project.

Good to see everybody here! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hi!

I am Atharva Raykar, just your regular college student, and one of the key people at PES Open Source.

I am a strong believer that hacker culture and the free sharing of knowledge and ideas need to brought back to the university (It seems to only be concentrated in corporates and startups from what I have seen these days, a far cry from what was seen in places like MIT or CMU in the '80s).

For at least an year now we have been conducting meetups within our college, promoting FOSS, sharing ideas, and collaborating on Open Source projects but we feel like this culture should be more widespread. Unfortunately, there is almost no similar community in other colleges in Bangalore.

Hackathons, workshops and competitive coding remains popular, but there is a lack of an environment where everyone feels comfortable to freely share anything they have learnt. Few work together on projects that are purely motivated by the desire to build things. College administrations and students take a highly career-oriented approach, to the detriment of passionate communities.

There are a lot of people like me in colleges wanting FOSS communities, and there is only a lack of consolidation and initiative, which is what we are ultimately trying to change.

If you see an opportunity to talk about things you are passionate about, or if you are from another college looking to collaborate and help us realize our vision, feel free to say hello and connect with us at: pesos@pes.edu

As for my personal interests outside of PESOS, I like to think of myself as a generalist and I get excited by anything that involves building abstractions over complexity, and modelling problems. The latest example of such a thing was how computation is modelled by Joy.

3 Likes

Hello everyone, Iā€™m Shashank. Iā€™m a final year student at RVCE, Bengaluru.

I primarily work with Javascript and Python. Iā€™ve made a few opensource contributions to netlify-cms by Netlify and backstage by Spotify. Really looking forward to learn and contribute more to the world of open source.

Happy to be a part of this community. :grin:

Github - https://github.com/BA1RY

5 Likes

Hi all,

I am Arjun. I am an alumni Android Engineer at Twitter (SF) and Samsung (Menlo Park).

I am looking forward to be a part of this community to learn about all existing great open source platforms and build a meaningful product out of it. And also contribute back to the community while doing so.

ReactJS, Electron Framework and VSCode are some of my favourite OSS.

3 Likes

Hi, Ganesha here,

Iā€™m a product designer, A PC gamer and a tech enthusiast. I operate at the intersection of People x Technology simplifying software so regular people can use tech.

Iā€™ve been in front of PCā€™s since the windows ME/2000/NT days. Been wanting to contribute to real technology progress, and getting involved in an open source community seemed like a good way to do that.

In summary

• Self taught Product Designer ( UI/UX )
  • Tech Geek- I build my own PCā€™s and optimize it for best performance.
  • Want to contribute to software used by regular people, and owned by everyone ( FOSS! )

Dribble outdated by ~1.5 Years.
LinkedIn

3 Likes

Hi everyone!

I am Anand Prabhu currently working as a Software Engineer in a FinTech startup. Previously i used to work for an MNC based out of US as a mobile and front-end application developer.

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

This is Vishal - I am Founder and CTO at InfraCloud (https://www.infracloud.io/) and I am a maintainer of Fission - a FaaS on Kubernetes project ( https://github.com/fission/fission ) I also run the Pune Kubernetes Meetup community (Sorry canā€™t paste link as a new user you can paste only two links :slight_smile: )

Excited to be here and looking forward to learning and collaborating!

Thanks
-Vishal

4 Likes

Hi @Vishal_Biyani, great to see you here!

I get to know about fission through Githubā€™s made in India collection. You can on our telegram community as well, where we discuss FOSS heavily :slight_smile:

1 Like

Akash here.
I used to work as a Enterprise software developer fixing bugs on the software performance and fixing bottlenecks.
Currently have my own non-tech gig, so I dabble with Self hosted solutions and crypto markets to keep my tech skills alive.
Havenā€™t been directly involved in the Open source space for a while now, but I whole-heartedly believe:

Software is like sex, itā€™s better when itā€™s free - free as in free beer.

My current setup includes Raspberry Pi 4 on which I host bunch of self hosted applications, mainly Pihole+Wireguard, Transmission, Emby, Gokapi, Bookstack, Webmin, Firefly, Gitea, all under Traefik reverse proxy.

My go to sources for anything tech are mostly feeds from tech sites, subreddits.

4 Likes

Iā€™m Lakshay,
A final year engineering student hoping to graduate soon.
I discovered FOSS during high school and have enjoyed it ever since. I made a bunch of libraries related to music parsing, tagging. I mostly use Python but had a stint with Go where I wrote a package to parse ID3 tags. Iā€™ve dabbled a little bit with infra and self host my vpn and website on AWS.

My peak contributions came between the end of my high school and first year at college. Now that Iā€™m about to graduate, I canā€™t wait to get back into the scene :smiley:

I love FOSS because its the most affective, unbiased way to build software and learn things.

My favourite open source project is oh-my-zsh. Procuring its sticker has been my greatest achievement!

4 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Swapnil.
Full stack developer. Been writing code for over a decade.
FOSS enthusiast. I like vim, git and tiling window managers

Built a FOSS side project

Usually, I get to know new tech stuff from README files, awesome-lists, reddit, techie friends and a few blogs.

4 Likes

Hello Everyone,
I am Manish Trivedi, Tech Architect in (MIND)MothersonSumi Group. I have started my career in 2010 and did some activities in Open source word in my career starting days, but after joining MNC, I was stopped contributing. Now itā€™s high time to join back open-source word using the FOSS community.

I appreciate you guys specially @Rushabh_Mehta , @wisharya , and the whole Frappe Team. They are taking their precious time to drive such a community.

Personally, I feel proud such initiative exists in India and have the platform to connect them. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello Everyone,
I am Rajesh Razdan, Co-Founder at Devtron Labs - An Opensource End-to-End SaaS-like experience for Kubernetes. I have started my career during the late '90s and worked in various capacities across industries before building Devtron Labs. Devtron is the place where we embraced the Opensource future and its benefits. Excited and proud to be a part of this inspiring Opensource community.

You can check out our GitHub Repo where we are always looking out for new contributors and developers who would be willing to help us enhance the tool and use it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @Rajesh_Razdan,
Welcome to the FOSS United Community!

FOSS United organizes a monthly community meetup - FOSS community meetup,
We invite our community members to participate (talk and discuss) in that meetup. We would be happy to have you as a speaker in August Meetup, happening on 14 Aug, 2-4 pm. I am sure this will bring some users and thus some contributors too. Let me know what do you think!

2 Likes

Hi @wisharya,
Absolutely! It would be an honor to have an opportunity to speak in such a vibrant Community.

1 Like

Hi,
I am Nandhini anand. Got into computers in the early 2000s following my nose/curiousity. Was passionate about FOSS for about 5-8 years in my working life, then started focused on financial, personal development. Been using python since 2009.
Do start a few projects/contributions on github here, but have trouble finding time to completing them. (Currently in the middle of yet another project thatā€™s not on the public repos list. Itā€™s in the space of media/news bias checker tool).

Found this forum because I follow @rushabh on twitter.

2 Likes

Hello Everyone,

This is Lalit. A passionate techie. Recently joined open source world and loving it. I am community maintainer of Haystack: End-to-end framework for building natural language search interfaces.

Currently I am building Obsei: an open-source low-code AI powered automation platform. Obsei can be used in various business flows like social listening, AI based alerting, brand image analysis, comparative study etc. I would love to receive feedback, suggestions and collaboration about Obsei.

I keep myself updated by reading blogs or outage postpartum :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @Lalit_Pagaria :smile:,
Welcome to the community. Please share about your project in our Telegram community as well https://t.me/fossunited. We have quite active folks there. Also, would you be interested to speak about this project in our upcoming FOSS Meetup?

What do you think?

1 Like

Thanks @wisharya I will post there as well :slight_smile: