Starting a FOSS United chapter in Pondicherry

Minutes of the meeting
Attendees - @wisharya , @ansh , Dyuman, Chandran

• Dyuman and Chandran are FOSS enthusiasts currently based out of Auroville, Pondicherry.
  • Dyuman works as a sysadmin, and in a school where he manages the systems in computer labs that primarily run on Ubuntu. He also teaches students for a few hours a week.
  • Chandran is mentoring students who need help in programming
  • They have previously attended our Chennai and Bangalore December meetups and would like to start hosting meetups in Pondicherry.
  • They know some Linux users in Pondicherry who are planning to start a group, their network of students can also help increase participation.
  • We can start by hosting a FOSS meetup in the city.
  • The first step will be to reach out to people who may be interested.
  • They will ask around in their network and get back to Vishal if they see reasonable interest in organising meetups, and if they are able to find folks willing to talk at the event.
  • Discussion on the vision of FOSS United, and what do we promote (what talks can be allowed at the meetup)
  • The entire process of organising meetups was explained and necessary resources were shared
  1. Tasklist for Meetup Organizers [Quick Guideline]
  2. FOSS community meetup
  3. FOSS Meetup Standards
  4. Talk Proposal guidelines for a FOSS Conference
6 Likes

Great to see so much enthusiasm!!

What’s the status of this? I’d love to help kick this off and/or participate.

1 Like

We lost touch with the folks who wanted to start this. I will follow up once again. Happy to help you any way we can if you’d like kickstart a chapter as well :slight_smile:

My Native is Pudicherry and I would love to see and help out the team in any way to start up a chapter over there, Hoping for the best :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Hey @Justin_Benito! Love the enthusiasm. I’m working with Ansh in getting this chapter bootstrapped. Any specific areas you can help in?
We’re looking to orchestrate the following:

1. Finding a venue/space. Typically this event could be 15-50 people. We would like space that can accommodate that kind of crowd.
  2. Identifying open source enthusiasts locally who can come forward to share their ideas.
  3. Engaging a bunch of volunteers to run social media, promotions, event logistics, etc.
2 Likes

Hey @Ram_Iyengar it’s great to hear that we are working on this.

Although I don’t live there and have a very limited experience with the locality,
I would be able to support in any thing we would need.

I can try to find a venue for 15-50 and do some initial social media management and logistics until we find our dream team of volunteers.

With proper promotions I believe we can reach the untapped open source enthusiasts in pondy.

If anything more, Im super open in learning everything along the way :grin:

Let me know how we can go forward : )

Hi Ram, Justin

Thanks a ton for showing interest in kickstarting this. I ran a poll in the Chennai and FOSS United public channels and there’s reasonable interest in attending/volunteering for a meetup in Pondicherry.

I have created a telegram group for the same, let’s continue the conversation there?

1 Like

Great,
Thanks a lot Ansh.
Let’s get this on ground :grin:

1 Like

I am in :grin::saluting_face:

1 Like