This thread serves as a collection of resources for people interested in kickstarting a FOSS chapter, the first step to which is usually conducting a FOSS meetup.
What are FOSS meetups?
FOSS meetups are periodic meetups we conduct in our city chapter to talk about everything FOSS.
Currently, we have 6 city chapters ( Mumbai, Delhi, Hyderabad, Delhi, Chennai, Kochi) organising regular meetups.
- Usually 2-3 hours long
- 3-6 talks depending on strength of proposals.
- Participation ranges from 20-150 people, varying between city to city
- Hosted in office spaces provided by a company, or a college.
We ensure to hold our meetups to the FOSS Meetup Standards. Organizers should make sure these standards are upheld at the events.
Organizing a FOSS meetup
- Please go through the Tasklist for Meetup Organizers [Quick Guideline] for a quick overview of various tasks and responsibilities that come with hosting a FOSS meetup.
- Create a forum post proposing a meetup on forum.fossunited.org.
- Once this is done, the FOSS United team will get on a call with the organizer/organizing team to explain to them the various responsibilites and support from our end (including monetary grant for tea/snacks and onboarding to the platform)
- Once the meetup is approved, create a telegram group (or any other communication forum of your choice, preferably FOSS) for the volunteers and FOSS United team to interact, discuss and plan the event.
- Ensure that the planning thread of the meetup on forum.fossunited.org is up to date with all related announcements.
- After the completion of the meetup, please send the expenses bill/invoice addressed to FOSS United foundation at email@example.com. Once this is approved, the amount will be reimbursed within a week.
- Create a Post event report on the forum thread , sharing insights and feedback from the meetup.